In today’s digest we bring you articles on Keto made Dani feel better than ever – Diet Doctor, Reverse Dumbbell Flies – the Key to Developing a Set of Round, Massive Delts – Fitness and Power, The Next Best Thing to Testosterone Injections and Mel Gibson Lost Over 30lb In 8 Weeks, All Because Of A Chance Encounter. Hope you enjoy them…
Keto made Dani feel better than ever – Diet Doctor
Even though Dani had always been on the heavier side, it wasn’t until the past few years that her weight started spiraling out of control. In addition, a couple of other health issues had crept up on her over time, such as high blood pressure, chronic pain and hormonal imbalances. She now recognizes that the…
Even though Dani had always been on the heavier side, it wasn’t until the past few years that her weight started spiraling out of control. In addition, a couple of other health issues had crept up on her over time, such as high blood pressure, chronic pain and hormonal imbalances.
She now recognizes that the ailments were weight related, especially the pain in her legs and back, but at the time she did not connect the dots. “I had a lot of excess weight causing a lot of excess problems” she explains.
When she decided to do something about her weight, a friend mentioned the keto diet. Dani thought it sounded interesting, and went online to do her research. She soon discovered Diet Doctor, and it is from here that she has gotten the majority of keto-related information.
The results that Dani has gotten in less than a year reveals her determined mindset. She has lost 126 lbs (57 kg) since the 16th of September 2018, which is the exact date when she started.
Keto made Dani feel better than ever – Diet Doctor was originally published at https://www.dietdoctor.com/the-keto-diet-i-feel-amazing
Make sure to follow Body Shapr on Facebook - Body Shapr
Reverse Dumbbell Flies – the Key to Developing a Set of Round, Massive Delts – Fitness and Power
One thing is certain : rear delts don’t get enough love and it’s not very surprising they’re a common weak point in many athlete’s physiques. That’s really unfortunate, since these small muscles play a very large role in achieving an impressive three-dimensional muscularity. The two main reasons for neglecting the rear delts are pretty obvious:…
One thing is certain : rear delts don’t get enough love and it’s not very surprising they’re a common weak point in many athlete’s physiques. That’s really unfortunate, since these small muscles play a very large role in achieving an impressive three-dimensional muscularity.
The two main reasons for neglecting the rear delts are pretty obvious: first, they’re best visible from the back so they get easily overshadowed by muscles that can be seen in the mirror and second, they’re relatively weak compared to the other shoulder heads, so very few people decide to emphasize them in their regular routine.
However, there is another underlying problem when it comes to neglecting “unpopular” muscles: more often than not, bodybuilders don’t value the importance of having a structurally balanced and overall well-developed physique and they seem to ignore the fact that any weak link in the chain will ultimately become a limiting factor in some aspect of their performance.
So regardless of your goals, your rear delts deserve some attention, and luckily, there is an exercise that will help you develop them in the shortest time possible – it’s the reverse dumbbell fly. The reverse dumbbell fly is a bilateral exercise in the horizontal plane of movement which mainly targets the delts, the posterior muscles of the rotator cuff and the upper back muscles. This means that besides efficiently hitting your rear delts, reverse dumbbell flies will strengthen your thoracic spinal muscles and improve your upper body posture and function, so incorporating them in your whole body program can help you significantly increase your back strength and mobility.
In case you need more reasons to add reverse dumbbell flies in your back routine, we prepared a list of the most important benefits this great resistance exercises has to offer:
1. Improved posture
The dumbbell reverse fly helps strengthen the muscles responsible for pulling the shoulders backwards, thereby improving upper body posture and movement which is very important for both everyday activities and athletic performance.
2. Great muscle activation
One of the big reasons why this exercise is so effective is that it hits a big number of muscles with one simple movement. As we mentioned above, those include the delts, rotator cuff muscles and the scapula, all of which are usually neglected in a typical upper body routine. And the more muscles a certain movement involves, the more bang for your buck you can get.
3. Injury prevention
Strengthening the rotator cuff is an imperative for anyone who would like to avoid serious shoulder injury. The rotator cuff muscles – infraspinatus, supraspinatus, subscapularis and teres minor – are crucial for stabilizing the shoulder joint and enabling smooth movement of the shoulder muscles, yet they are one of the most commonly injured muscles. Since the dumbbell fly involves a retraction of the scapula, a movement which co-operates with the rotator cuff muscles, it can significantly strengthen the latter, thereby keeping shoulder injury away.
How to perform the dumbbell reverse fly
As with any other exercise, proper form and technique are vital for success. Here’s how to perform dumbbell reverse flies in a way that ensures optimal muscle activation, zero risk of injury and massive strength gains.
• Lie down on an inclined bench with the stomach and chest lying flat down, with a dumbbell in each hand with a neutral grip (palms facing inwards towards each other).
• Let the dumbbells hang straight down from your shoulders with your arms perpendicular to the angle of the bench. Your legs and torso should remain stationary all throughout the movement.
• Keeping a flat back, slightly bend your elbows, exhale and pull the weights away from each other laterally (to the sides) in an arc motion. Arm involvement should be minimal and the movement should be enabled by pulling through the elbows.
• Elevate the weights until your arms become parallel to the floor. At the top of the movement, squeeze your shoulder blades together and feel the contraction.
• As you inhale, slowly lower the weights back down to the original position but don’t allow them to bounce off each other.
• Repeat for the prescribed amount of repetitions.
That being said, here are some common mistakes to avoid when performing dumbbell reverse flies:
• Don’t allow your lower back to arch. This can lead to injury and reduce the effectiveness of the exercise.
• Don’t put too much of the tension on your biceps and focus on scapula retraction instead.
• After completing your sets, perform static stretches to enhance blood circulation and improve flexibility, as well as to reduce soreness and speed up recovery.
Here’s a sample shoulder training workout that will help you increase your shoulder’s conditioning and protect them from injury, which can substantially improve all of your major lifts.
Perform upper-body dynamic stretches and rotator cuff mobility exercises.
• Cable rope face-pulls: 3 drop-sets x 15 reps
• Smith machine shoulder press: 3 sets x 8-12 reps
• Single-arm standing shoulder press: 3 sets x 10 reps for each arm
• Dumbbell reverse flies: 3 sets x 15 reps
• Cable pull-aparts: 3 sets x 12 reps
• Seated rope face-pulls: 3 sets x 15 reps
Perform static stretches focused on the rotator cuff muscles.
Don’t forget that in bodybuilding, sometimes it’s not about how strong your strongest points are, but how you handle your weakest links. And since the rear delts are a common weak point for most, building a set of massive rear delts can definitely set you apart from the average bodybuilder!
Reverse Dumbbell Flies – the Key to Developing a Set of Round, Massive Delts – Fitness and Power was originally published at https://www.fitnessandpower.com/training/bodybuilding-exercises/shoulder-exercises/reverse-dumbbell-flies
Make sure to follow Body Shapr on Facebook - Body Shapr
The Next Best Thing to Testosterone Injections
Testosterone-boosting supplements sweet-talk your pituitary gland and testicles into making more testosterone, but regardless of how good one of these supplements may be, it’ll never be as powerful as actual testosterone replacement therapy where a doctor pokes a needle into your keister. That being said, testosterone-boosting supplements can work wonders for men who are marginally…
Testosterone-boosting supplements sweet-talk your pituitary gland and testicles into making more testosterone, but regardless of how good one of these supplements may be, it’ll never be as powerful as actual testosterone replacement therapy where a doctor pokes a needle into your keister.
That being said, testosterone-boosting supplements can work wonders for men who are marginally deficient in testosterone because of age, poor diet, poor sleep, stress, exposure to too many testosterone-draining chemicals, or overtraining.
And, unlike actual testosterone replacement, these T-boosting supplements won’t cause your testicles to go on vacation. Instead, they’ll make them work harder so that you’re just a little bit more male, a little bit more beastly.
How T Boosters Work
Most T-boosting supplements work (if they work at all) in one of four ways:
- They supply vitamins and minerals that, if depleted, negatively affect testosterone production.
- They influence the pituitary to release more luteinizing hormone (LH), which signals the Leydig cells in the testicles to pump out more testosterone.
- They selectively convert DHEA and other androgens into testosterone, thus upping overall levels.
- They influence the production of a cellular messenger called cyclic AMP, which, among other cool things, increases testosterone levels.
Taking care of the first pathway to high testosterone is easy: just bone up on zinc and magnesium through nutrient dense foods or take a zinc/magnesium supplement like ZMA®. The other three pathways require a lot more finesse and you’ll rarely see all of these pathways addressed in the same T-boosting product.
The Alpha Male® Formula
Enter Biotest’s Alpha Male®, which contains three exotic, very effective, hard-to-find compounds, two of which are potent testosterone boosters and one of which increases the effects of the other two, in addition to being a particularly effective libido enhancer.
Here’s a hopefully not too torturous rundown of each of these three ingredients:
1. Eurycoma Longifolia (aka Tongkat Ali)
We’ve long known that this mysterious Malaysian herb elevated testosterone levels, but it was only recently that we learned how. It seems the herbs are rich with two particular quassinoids (members of a biochemically active group of plant chemicals).
When rats, in various studies, received daily doses of eurycoma extracts high in these quassinoids, they experienced a considerable rise in testosterone levels with a concurrent decrease in estradiol.
Spermatogenesis also increased substantially, as did the weight of the rat’s testicles (indicating more productive Leydig cells, more productive Sertoli cells, more spermatogenesis, and more productive testicles in general). Furthermore, when “enhanced” rats mated (before their testicles were removed and weighed), they had a higher fecundity batting average and females gave birth to bigger, badder litters.
Chemical analysis showed that it was elevated levels of LH and FSH that caused these effects and that’s how it works in humans, too.
A South African study recruited 25 older cyclists, 13 of them male and 12 of them female. (It turns out it works in females, too. Read on.) Each cyclist received 200 mg. of eurycoma every day for five weeks.
Levels of free and total testosterone went up significantly in both men and women. While the testosterone increases in men were apparently caused by elevated luteinizing hormone (LH), along with concurrently lowered estradiol levels, the increase in women’s testosterone levels was believed to be caused by a significant decline in sex-hormone binding globulin (SHBG).
That means that the herb prevented the testosterone that women make naturally from being chemically bound up and made inaccessible to the body by SHBG.
In another study, Malaysian scientists gave a standardized water-soluble extract of eurycoma to 320 men suffering from hypogonadism. Prior to receiving the compound, only 10.5% of the men didn’t have any of the complaints listed on the AMS (aging male symptoms) scale and only 35.5% of them had normal testosterone levels.
After the study concluded, a hefty 71.7% of them stopped having complaints related to low T and a staggering 90.8% were found to have normal testosterone levels.
But eurycoma’s got other talents, too. It also selectively controls the conversion of DHEA and other androgens to testosterone. That means it also works independently of LH. As long as the substrate hormones are present (and they’re present in everyone), conversion to testosterone occurs.
2. Forskolin Carbonate
This plant polyphenol comes from the roots of the Indian coleus plant and it’s a true supplement superstar. Not only does it dramatically increase testosterone levels, it also does a variety of things for the body that you normally can’t accomplish without dieting and exercising.
It does all this primarily by stimulating production of an enzyme named adenylate cyclase, which in turn increases levels of a cellular messenger called cyclic AMP, or cAMP for short.
In turn, elevated levels of cAMP can increase testosterone levels, in addition to increasing thyroid secretion of T4 (increased fat burning), breaking down triglycerides, increasing protein synthesis in skeletal muscles, and increasing activation of brown adipose tissue, or BAT (which causes more fat burning, although through a different mechanism).
These effects aren’t just hearsay or conjecture, either. Many of those effects have been validated through various studies, the highlights of which follow:
- Male subjects in a 12-week trial experienced a 16.77 +/-33.77% increase in total testosterone compared with a 1.08 +/- 18.35% decrease in the placebo group.
- Female subjects in an 8-week study lost a mean of 9.17 pounds weight, while experiencing gains in lean body mass (without weight training).
- The total body weight of a mixed group of men and women in a 12-week study decreased from 74.7 kilograms to 73.5 kilograms while experiencing increases in lean body mass (without weight training).
- The forskolin users in a mixed-sex group of 50 test subjects experienced a 1.78 percent increase in lean body mass (compared with a 0.20 decrease in the placebo group) and a decrease in mean body fat from 35.8 to 34.0 percent (while the placebo group showed an increase in body fat from 38.8 to 39.0 percent).
This stuff works so well that it should be the first thing you look for in the ingredients list of any alleged T-boosting supplement.
3. Tribulus Terrestris
Tribulus, also called puncture vine, is a small, leafy plant that grows in parts of Europe, Asia, Africa, and the Middle East. It’s long been a part of Chinese and Indian medicine, used mainly as a libido enhancer.
Of the three active ingredients in Alpha Male®, tribulus is the most controversial. While it’s long been thought to work by increasing testosterone levels, the research has been somewhat inconclusive. While it’s definitely been shown to increase androgen levels in laboratory animals, researchers, in most cases, haven’t been able to replicate the results with humans.
It may well be a question of dosage, or, more likely, the ill-advised use of unpurified, inactive, or inferior batches of the herb. Many suppliers simply take a mélange of tribulus plant parts (leaves, stems, branches) and add the presumably active ingredient, protodioscin, to the end product, but that sure as heck doesn’t work.
Instead, efficacy is highly likely to depend on some complex, yet-to-be figured out interaction between protodioscin and the numerous other phytochemicals in the plant.
Regardless, what has been proven over and over again in the lab is that tribulus enhances androgen receptor density in the brain (and possibly muscle tissue, too). That means that any testosterone churned out courtesy of eurycoma or forskolin has a lot more roomy places for it to park and do its stuff. It also explains the proven libido-enhancing effects of tribulus.
Alpha Male®: The CliffsNotes
Okay, maybe you skipped all that sometimes-boring dissection of the science behind the three main active ingredients in Alpha Male®. I don’t necessarily blame you. But do at least absorb the following:
- Eurycoma Longifolia – This Malaysian herb ramps up LH to coax the testes into producing more testosterone. The herb also selectively controls the conversion of DHEA and other androgens to testosterone.
- Forskolin Carbonate – This coleus plant root derivative stimulates production of a cellular messenger called cyclic AMP, or cAMP for short. cAMP then triggers testosterone production in the Leydig cells of the testicles.
- Tribulus Terrestris – This ancient medicinal herb increases the density of androgen receptors in the brain (and possibly muscle), which gives all that eurycoma and forskolin-induced testosterone more places to attach to and do its magic, including amping up the libido.
Each serving of Alpha Male® contains 500 mg. of a full-spectrum extraction of Bulgarian tribulus terrestris; 100 mg. of genuine Malaysian eurycoma longifolia; and 20 mg. of purified forskolin that was chemically altered (to form forskolin 1,9 carbonate) to extend its bioavailability from 4 hours to about 12 hours.
These dosages are all based on the best available scientific literature as to which amounts would produce the optimal results in human males.
How Do I Use Alpha Male®?
On non-workout days, take 1-2 tablets in the morning and 1-2 tablets 6-8 hours later, each time on an empty, or pretty much empty, stomach. Don’t take more than four a day.
On workout days, take 1-2 tablets 60 to 90 minutes before training and a second dose right after your workout. This method takes advantage of the increased androgen receptor sensitivity that happens as a result of intense exercise, and the more testosterone you can “throw” at those newly sensitized androgen receptors, the better your results, muscle-wise.
In general, though, try to use Alpha Male® in cycles of 5 days on and 2 days off. Give it up to 4 weeks before judging its efficacy (which is about the same time you’d want to give actual testosterone replacement therapy before deciding if it did what you expected).
You may, however, because of advancing age or declining health, reach a point where Alpha Male® is no longer working as well as you like. At that point, you may want to explore pharmaceutical testosterone replacement.
Get Alpha Male® Here
Take 4 Capsules for Muscle Gain and Fat Loss
- Akhtari E, Raisi F, Keshavarz M, Hosseini H, Sohrabvand F, Bioos S, Kamalinejad M, Ghobadi A. “Tribulus terrestris for treatment of sexual dysfunction in women: randomized double-blind placebo – controlled study.” Daru. 2014 Apr 28;22(1):40.
- Gauthaman, Kalamegam; Ganesan, Adaikan P. ” The hormonal effects of Tribulus terrestris and its role in the management of male erectile dysfunction – an evaluation using primates, rabbit and rat.” Phytomedicine, Volume 15, Issues 1-2, January 2008.
- Godard MP, Johnson BA, Richmond SR. “Body composition and hormonal adaptations associated with forskolin consumption in overweight and obese men.” Obes Res. 2005 Aug;13(8):1335-43.
- Henkel RR, Wang R, Bassett SH, Chen T, Liu N, Zhu Y, Tambi MI. “Tongkat Ali as a potential herbal supplement for physically active male and female seniors–a pilot study.” Phytother Res. 2014 Apr;28(4):544-50.
- Kamath, “Efficacy and Safety of Forslean in Increasing Lean Body Mass.” Department of Ayurvedic Medicine, Kasturba Medical College, Manipal, India, 2005.
- Low BS, Das PK, Chan KL, “Standardized quassinoid-rich Eurycoma longifolia extract improved spermatogenesis and fertility in male rats via the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal axis.” J Ethnopharmacol. 2013 Feb 13;145(3):706-14.
- Majeed, et al., Diterpene forskolin: A possible new compound for reduction of body weight by increasing lean body mass.” Nutraceuticals, March/April 2002, pp. 6 – 7.
- Neychev, V, Mitev, V. “Pro-sexual and androgen enhancing effects of Tribulus terrestris L.: Fact or Fiction.” 2016 Feb 17;179:345-55. Epub 2015 Dec 28.
- Scarpace PJ1, Matheny M. “Thermogenesis in brown adipose tissue with age: post-receptor activation by forskolin.” Pflugers Arch. 1996 Jan;431(3):388-94.
- Shonteh Henderson, Bahrat Magu, Richard B Kreider, et al. “Effects of Coleus Forskohlii Supplementation on Body Composition and Hematological Profiles in Mildly Overweight Women.” J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2005; 2(2): 54-62.
- Solomon MC, Erasmus N, Henkel RR, “In vivo effects of Eurycoma longifolia Jack (Tongkat Ali) extract on reproductive functions in the rat.” Andrologia. 2014 May;46(4):339-48.
- M.I.B.M. Tambi, M.K. Imran. “Standardised water-soluble extract of Eurycoma longifolia, Tongkat ali, as testosterone booster for managing men with late-onset hypogonadism?” Andrologia, 15 June, 2011.
- Tsuguyoshi, “Clinical report on root extract of Perilla Plant (coleus forskholii) in reducing body fat.” Asanto Institute, Tokyo, Japan, 2001.
The Next Best Thing to Testosterone Injections was originally published at https://www.t-nation.com/supplements/the-next-best-thing-to-testosterone-injections?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=article8684
Make sure to follow Body Shapr on Facebook - Body Shapr
Mel Gibson Lost Over 30lb In 8 Weeks, All Because Of A Chance Encounter
Like most of us, as Mel Gibson has gotten older it has become more difficult to manage his weight. However a chance encounter he had changed his perspective on fitness, and led to him losing a pretty solid amount of weight. At the peak of his career, Gibson was one of the most popular action…
Like most of us, as Mel Gibson has gotten older it has become more difficult to manage his weight. However a chance encounter he had changed his perspective on fitness, and led to him losing a pretty solid amount of weight.
At the peak of his career, Gibson was one of the most popular action stars in the world, starring in films like Braveheart and the Leathal Weapon franchise. Even in his more recent films, he has returned to the action genre. Of course nowadays, the types of stunts and physically demanding work that comes from this films is a little harder for Mel to produce.
Another thing that became harder, as the 64-year old Mel Gibson got older, is the ability to maintain his weight. His metabolism slowed down, like it does for anyone, and his midsection began to become a little bigger. However a video has been making the rounds recently, showing that just a single interaction was able to change his views on diet and fitness, and gave him the ability to lose the weight he had been struggling with.
As the story goes, Mel was eating alone at a restaurant, when he noticed Samantha Jackson, also eating alone. The two began to strike up a conversation, which eventually led to Gibson telling Sam that he had been having trouble losing weight, and had been dealing with feeling sluggish and tired. This was something that Jackson, who happened to be a fitness coach in Australia, felt that she could help him with.
So Jackson did begin to work with Gibson, and things began to change. In just eight weeks, the Hollywood star lost about 30lb and took ten inches off of his waistline. Moreover, he says that he feels better overall, now that they have started the process.
“All my clothes fit, my back doesn’t hurt anymore. I started sleeping better, and it was pretty miraculous really. So I feel good,” Gibson said. “I’ve got more energy to work out. It’s just my overall, pure health is better. I may live longer.”
The basic breakdown of the diet involves a rigorous meal plan, which Sam designed. Moreover, the pair stay in constant contact, to ensure that Mel is following the plan accordingly. The goal is to minimize the visceral adipose tissue in his body, which allowed him to drop the weight, while still looking healthy.
It is good to see that Mel Gibson found something that works for him, and his nutritional needs. The older you get, the harder this type of thing is to do. However, he showed some serious discipline, which led to solid results.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Mel Gibson Lost Over 30lb In 8 Weeks, All Because Of A Chance Encounter was originally published at https://fitnessvolt.com/mel-gibson-weight-loss/